I went to Facebook, and I asked a simple question: For my dog lovers, why do you have dogs?
Here were the answers based on the highest number of answers/and or comments to the question:
Why Do You Have Dogs?
- Companionship. Noble. Will die for you in a heartbeat.
- My dogs give me unconditional love. I am the center of their universe.
- Protection, feeling of security, safety, a deterrent.
- Gift of Friendship. Better friends than people.
- Loyalty, authenticity. They are loyal not for what you can do for them but what they can do for you.
- Emotional Support, provide comfort, my best friend.
- Stress reliever/buster makes me calm and have focus. They help me relax after working all day.
- They make me smile and laugh. Dogs embody fun and happiness. Bring joy and balance. Dogs help me combats loneliness.
- Walking/Exercise Buddy. They get me out to walk daily.
- My dogs help fill the empty void of having no kids. My dogs are my children. My grown kids are leaving for college and my dogs help me deal with the empty nest feeling. My dogs are helping me deal with my loss of family due to death.
- Something to love, part of my family. Children should have a dog. I love animals more than humans. Having dogs teach my children caring and responsibility. Kids wanted a dog. Having a dog has been good for the emotional and physical health of my children. Completes my family. Makes a home, a home.
- Soft furry cuddles, snuggles, kisses. They give you a sense of peace and love.
- Grew up with dogs, so will always have dogs.
- My dog found me. He followed me around and didn’t want to leave.
- Not a cat person. They don’t talk back.
- Reason to live, lifesavers. People with dogs live longer. Dogs fill the need to be needed. They make my world a better place. My life seems empty without a dog
- Fostered and now adopted the dogs. My dogs, I rescued them.
- Dogs are therapeutic. They help with my anxiety, depression. They are great for my special needs kids. Dogs instinctively know their humans when they are anxious and they bring a calming presence.
- My dogs are always excited and happy to see me.
- Dogs don’t judge, no bias. Dogs are kindhearted more than humans can ever be.
- My dog is my service dog. My dogs help with animals on my farm.
- My hubby/partner is a dog lover.
- Help us to become better people. Dogs are sensitive to our emotions. Dogs are 4-legged angels. Dogs help us through the rough and hard times of life.
- I got a dog because of my need to nurture. They make me worry about something other than myself.
- Dogs remind us to live in the moment and enjoy the simple pleasures in life
Dogs Impacts Lives
From the answers and/or comments to the question: Why we have dogs. I can see the depth of what our dogs mean to us. It shows how our dogs are impacting our lives, and changing our lives for the better. Our dogs are making us better people.
Our world is much better because of their presence and we wouldn’t want it any other way.
Once again, it’s a testimony to the link we have with our paws.